If you’re a government employee who can no longer work due to an injury or illness, contact Fusco, Brandenstein & Rada, P.C. today. Retirement disability benefits are available to civil service workers through state, city, and local municipalities. We know how stressful it is when a disabling condition prevents someone from earning a living. You worry about the cost of medical treatment and how you’re going to pay for daily living expenses. Our New York State disability pension lawyers will help you get the benefit payments you need to supplement your income and pay your bills.
When you’re filing a disability claim, it’s crucial that you seek legal representation immediately. You can avoid the pitfalls and setbacks that come with applying for benefits. At Fusco, Brandenstein & Rada, P.C., our attorneys have decades of experience in New York disability pension law. We know the evidence that’s needed to prove that you’re owed disability pension benefits, and we’ll even work with your doctors to ensure they’re providing the detailed information needed to support the facts of your case.
Your New York State disability pension attorney will handle each step so you can focus on treatment. To find out more, call us today at 516-496-0400.
Benefits Available to Civil Service Workers
When you work for the state of New York or another municipality, you’re probably a member of the New York State and Local Retirement System (NYSLRS) or the New York City Employees’ Retirement System (NYCERS). To determine the benefits you qualify for, it’s important to know which system you belong to and your Tier.
New York State and Local Retirement System
If you’re a member of NYSLRS, there are various types of disability benefits available:
- Ordinary disability: For individuals who suffered a disability that may or may not be related to their job. You must meet the minimum service credit requirement.
- Performance of duty disability: Benefits for a permanent disability that occurred while performing work-related duties.
- Accidental disability: Available for accidents that led to a disability. The type of accident must match the NYSLRS meaning.
- World Trade Center presumption: Accidental disability benefits for anyone involved in recovery, rescue, or cleanup after 9/11.
New York City Employees’ Retirement System
Anyone working for the City of New York is entitled to benefits through NYCERS, except for members of the New York City Teachers’ Retirement System, the New York City Police Pension Fund, the New York City Board of Education Retirement System, or the New York City Fire Department Pension Fund.
The Tier you belong to depends on your job title and when you became a member of NYCERS.
- Tier 1: Joined before July 1, 1973.
- Tier 2: Joined between July 1, 1973, and July 26, 1976. Additionally, DA investigators who joined between July 1, 1973, and March 31, 2012.
- Tier 3: Uniformed correction force members, correction officers who joined between July 27, 1976, and March 31, 2012, uniformed sanitation force members, and DA investigators who became members of NYCERS and were employees with one of the above titles.
- Tier 4: Joined between July 27, 1976, and March 31, 2012, except for DA investigators and correction officers.
- Tier 6: Joined on or after April 1, 2012, except for correction force members and certain DA investigators and sanitation force members.
The Tier you’re in will determine the following factors:
- The benefits and loans you’re eligible to receive
- Years of creditable service
- The formula required to calculate benefit payments
- Whether you have to contribute to your benefits
- Death benefits for surviving family members of deceased civil service workers
Why You Should Hire Fusco, Brandenstein & Rada, P.C.
When you’re applying for disability benefits, you must follow the deadlines set by law. There’s also documentation to include that proves you have a disability that prevents you from returning to work. If you make any mistakes during the application process, this could result in a denied claim. NYCERS’s and NYSLR’s websites are confusing for anyone unfamiliar with applying for disability benefits. That’s why it’s essential that you hire an experienced New York State disability pension lawyer.
When you hire us, we’ll walk you through the complicated procedures and help you complete each step. We understand state laws and the requirements for filing disability claims. We’ll ensure everything we submit is accurate, complete, and filed on time. We can even advocate for your rights and recover the maximum benefit payments available. Whether you’re working on an initial claim or appealing a denied claim, we have the experience and resources to reach a favorable outcome.
Contact Fusco, Brandenstein & Rada, P.C. Today
If you are a civil service employee in New York State or New York City and need assistance applying for disability benefits, contact us immediately. We have a legal team that’s available 24/7, so you can reach us when you need us. We understand the importance of receiving dependable legal services during this overwhelming time in your life. We’ll relieve the burden by taking over the process so you can focus on your medical treatment.
At Fusco, Brandenstein & Rada, P.C., we have the experience, resources, and skills to handle any type of disability claim for our clients effectively. We’ll inform you of the eligibility requirements you must meet, filing deadlines, and evidence you’ll have to submit. We’ll remain by your side from the beginning to the end of your case to answer your questions, so you understand what to expect.
We know the struggles you’re facing. You’re worried about your expensive medical treatment and don’t know how you’re going to support your family. With the right disability benefits, you can supplement your lost income and pay for the necessary expenses you encounter every day.